Monday 22 April 2013

Steampunk Cinderella??

This month's Challenge at SanDee and Amelie's Steampunk Challenge Blog is Steampunk Fairytales.

At first I thought I would do Cinderella's carriage, but then I thought her glass slipper would be simpler and I wasn't sure how much time I would have this month with hubby at home as we are trying to get some long overdue 'stuff' done. So I went for the glass slipper.










I have several shoe templates (they appeal to me, what can I say. Probably because I can't wear real heels anymore) but for this shoe I used one from the House of Zandra. I cut the heel and sole from silver card and the top from acetate and was really pleased when it went together just fine (I thought I might have trouble attaching the acetate top to the sole because it doesn't 'grab' glue the same way paper does - fiddly but doable).

I decided that although I would decorate it in a steampunk style with cogs/wings/roses/clocks I'd like to keep the colours more feminine - cinderella always seems like a girlie girl to me!! So I chose to cover all my embellishments with 'aged rose' frantage which gives a sparkly but vintagey textural finish. The rose and wings are made from clearly for art treated the same way so I could shape them a little.


So, what can you do with a glass slipper? Use it as a gift box that's what!! Perhaps I am stretching the boundaries here but I have made other shoes in the past and tucked little goodies in them as gifts. Truth is, I saw a challenge this morning at Crafty Cardmakers to make a card or tag with with matching gift box, so thought I'd whip one up with the bits I had left.
So voila a tag, and finally my shoe stuffed with a little pressie wrapped of course in cog stamped tissue paper!! Don't worry CCers I won't argue if you say it doesn't meet the brief, it'sjust a bit of fun!!If I'd had time I would have made a piece of steampunk jewellery to go with it - you never know, it might end up being a giveaway at a later date!!


Challenges:
SanDee and Amelie's Steampunk Challenge Blog - Steampunk Fairy tales
Crafty Emblies (Apr - May)  - Anything Goes
Crafty Card Makers - Tag and Matching gift bag

22 comments:

Claudia N. said...

If Cinderella would have had these slippers, she never would have lost one of them on the stairs...no matter how dreadful the situation LOL!

Love your take on the Fairytale Steampunk challenge very much!!! Such a whimsical idea and making!!!!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us at SanDee&amelie's!!!

Hugs,
die amelie xx

Krisha said...

Forget the Prince, keep the shoe!! LOL! Oh Cindy I think this is the cutiest shoe I have seen to date. Using the acetate doesn't make it look so heavy, clever idea girlfriend!

Rossella said...

Hi Cindy,
I love shoes, wearable or otherwise. When I buy new shoes I always stand them on the table so I can look at them for a while (yes, I know it's odd), I would never take this shoe off the table, it's gorgeous,
Rosie x

Meggymay said...

Wow, an amazing romantic shoe, how could she loose something as gorgeous as that.
Yvonne x

AlexaCzar said...

Beautiful idea

Mary said...

That is just toooo cute and what a fantastic idea. Just beautiful.
mary

Lin said...

WOW! Now that's what I call art. Absolutely gorgeous and who says a box has to look like a box. The challenge was box, wrapping or bag, so it would come under wrapping anyway if it didn't come under bag.

If you do decide to give it away, give me a head's up, lol, I would love to be entered into a draw for something this beautiful.

Thanks for a fabulous project entered into our challenge at Crafty Cardmakers.

Lin xx

Mrs.B said...

Hi Cindy, This is an amazing shoe, do you think it would fit me?
Hugs, Avril xx

Mary said...

Wow....absolutely beautiful. So delicate. Very, very nice!

chrissie said...

This is amazing Cindy.

Love Chrissie xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Totally stunning Cindy, love what you did with this challenge theme! A fantastic slipper, and I know how wonderful your shoe project are cos I am the lucky owner of one of them, still treasured very much lol!

SanDee1899 said...

Dear Cindy you have been Spotlighted on SanDee&Amelie´s STEAMPUNK CHALLENGE! Congratulations your work is stunning I love it soooo much - (and I love shoes!) XOXO SanDee1899

Viv said...

Awesome! Love this to bits Cindy...

Papercraft By Carole said...

My goodness. This is absolutely fantastic. I love the idea of using the shoe to hold a little gift. It's all just so beautiful. Thank you so much for entering my challenge at Crafty Cardmakers. Cxx

Julie Reed said...

Cindy, your shoe is stunning, i have never seen anything like it before, such lovely colours too.
Thanks for joining us at CCM this week.
Jules :)

Unknown said...

Now thats what i call a Cinderalla Shoe, its absolutley Gorgeous
Cheers Karen xo

Mynn xx said...

Swoon! This is absolutely stunning! LOVE the fabulous elements! Thanks for joining us at CCM! :)

Busy Lizzie said...

That is a stunning design. I love it. Thanks for joining us over at Crafty-emblies
Liz (DT member)

Rebecca Hoy said...

Wow, how amazing. Thanks for joining us at crafty cardmakers this week. Rebecca x x

Dorrie said...

Congrats on winning the Woodware prize on Crafty Cardmakers, I love the idea of getting a gift in a shoe! Dorothy for Woodware.

Alexa said...

Shame you can't wear it as it's so lovely! Beautiful project - well deserved to be showcased!

Shoshi said...

Oh Cindy, this is just magical! I love it. The use of acetate is inspired. Love the tag, too - the embossed acetate is gorgeous. What a beautiful gift and keepsake.

Shoshi

What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday? #771

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...