Tuesday 3 January 2012

No papers were harmed ........

in the production of these cards.

Well strictly speaking, no new papers. I'm trying desperately not to make any new promises I won't be able to keep but using up scraps has to be something all of us crafters would like to do. So three cards made entirely from scraps or bits left over from old papers and kits.

This first one is a birthday card for my nephew - stars and cake will have to do, I'm not very imaginative for teenage boys, and let's face it they are usually more interested in what else might be inside the envelope. I think these papers and toppers were originally free in a magazine.

Many blogs seem to be exhorting us to try new things this year and that is certainly something I would like to do. 2011 was a bit of an artistic desert for me - I put it down to working, if I was at home all day I would be creativity itself (NOT). Anyhow The Try it on Tuesday team have challenged us this week to make a card which is 'All Your Own Work'. So I have inked and stamped some scrap card for the backgrounds and then made a tile by 'stamping into' shrink plastic, a new technique for me. I saw this idea in the January Craft Stamper magazine and was a little sceptical that it would stay pliable long enough to accept an impression. Characteristically, not having the same materials they used in the article didn't stop me having a go with a bit of SP and a red rubber stamp (logic being it could stand the heat if I heated the SP right on top of it so I could flatten it down quick). Seemed to work OK but I'm not sure it's the best use for SP, Friendly Plastic gives a similar result and is much more forgiving. I coloured the tile with alcohol inks and inka gold. I chose the sentiment because I thought it seemed appropriate to the challenge and embossing it in white made it stand out. Stuck the feather on just because it seemed to need a bit of blue. And just to keep true to the title of my post, the mats are all from my scrap box. 

Finally, last night, I popped over to mojo Monday and decided to have a go at this week's sketch. I don't think I use sketches enough, they do seem to speed up the creative process.


Once again I only used things from my scrap boxes (I have to admit some of those bits are so big perhaps they shouldn't be in there as they are hardly scraps). Also my punches which are much under-used. I wasn't so sure about the colours when I saw them in daylight but I think they work. I also used one of the many sentiment stamps in my stash that I haven't used on a project  yet.

Can't believe that after the terrible weather this morning when I had to have every light on in the house because it was so dark, I have just had to draw the blinds because the late afternoon sun is bouncing off the walls and absolutely blinding me. Go figure!!

8 comments:

Deborah said...

Well done on using up some scraps, Cindy - and so effectively too. I've tried that too but my good intentions never last very long. I still have a ton of stash from years ago that I cannot bear to give away but never use, a common crafter's affliction!

Sherry said...

Fabulous cards Cindy - I really must try to use up some scraps too!

Netty said...

A great selection of cards Cindy, x

Mynn xx said...

What absolutely amazing cards!!! The one you made for TIOT is fabulously gorgeous--love it! :)

Cazro said...

Lovin your cards Cindy. so pleased to see you getting crafty again. Your card with the stamping onto SP is amazing. I know how you love experimenting.Thanks for sharing with us at TIOT. Hope to see you again. Caz

Debbie Carriere said...

Great cards!! Love to use up scraps! Thanks for playing Mojo Monday!!!

Renee Stien said...

Your cards are always gorgeous, Cindy. Hope your new year is starting out well.

paulaexuk said...

Three cards that I am sure will be wonderfully received by your family and friends. Even the teenage nephew I am sure will like his. You have found some great ways to use up those scraps.

What's n Your Work Desk? Wednesday # 773

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...