Wednesday 6 February 2019

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday #505

And I was going to be so organised this week....

Anyhow 3 quick picks of stuff on my desk that I'm trying to get to this week.

First up, for Christmas I asked for (and received) Jane Davenport's 'Drawing and Painting beautiful faces', so this week I have started working through the book (early days). I'm still attempting to achieve some kind of consistency with the placement of the various bits of a face - eyes, ears, mouth, nose, neck etc in terms of balance and proportion. I don't particularly want to them to look 'human' (haha) just, well, believable. I feel it's gonna be a while....You can see a couple of pages on my desk. They are supposed to be quick, repetitive, practice pieces but when I think one of them has legs I take them a bit further and do some colour and shading because I'm also trying to get the hang of using pencils. At the age of 62 I have discovered I don't know how to colour, so practice, practice, practice. I try and do a page before bed, it calms me down although some nights I go on a bit longer than I intended. The big thing I have learnt is you can't hurry if you want it to work. Slapdash Annie here finds that very hard but its probably good for me.

I'm also going to do something with this, a favourite handbag of min from from a couple of decades ago. It will be black by the end of the day then - who knows?

You may guess I have been going through my WIP box. It is now reduced to the actual box, plus one (rather large I admit) carrier bag. I have managed to eliminate the pile on the floor that was getting ridiculous and the xmas pile.
But it's still rather a lot.

Found this amongst it all. Not going to tell you what this was destined for but it certainly will take you back a few years if I ever manage to get it done.
Hope you are intrigued.



So why am I telling you all this? It's desk hop day, pop on over to Julia's Stamping Ground and join in.

Have a great Wednesday guys!! 

18 comments:

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Cindy, totally with you on colouring. It's my big fail too, and yes, I've also discovered that slowly is actually the way forward. I think I too try to do it far too quickly. Might help if I remember that videos are often sped up, lol. Love what you've achieved though, but not likely to attempt actual drawing here! Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 X

glitterandglue said...

My goodness, Cindy. You are one busy lady - working your way through all those WIPs - and it's only February 6th yet!! Just think how organised you will be by the end of the year if you carry on at this rate!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #3

Julia Dunnit said...

You’re 62! Never! Do you think that means I might get the patience to start colouring soon?! I like your faces and I agree, if one has legs, keep going. Very impressed that you should take up such a challenge. Love the handbag, bet it’s full of memories for you, will be of great intent to see what you do. And yes, the album does intrigue me....did it have something to do with metallic pens?

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Some of those faces are really good! You're right, it's all about practice - if we don't practice, our drawing skills will always be stuck at a 10-year-old's level. Artistic skills won't improve on their own just because we get older! Have fun drawing faces! zsuzsa #
17

J said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for your visit earlier. I think you are doing great with the faces, I’ve always wanted to be able to watercolour, bought the books but that’s as far as I got, stick men are my limit, LoL.
Looking forward to seeing what you are doing with the handbag,,
Have a great week
Jan #18

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Well you're looking good on it Cindy! Practise is such a dirty word isn't it? But it is the only way to get better...I've done so much more since joining Crwbin band, as they're a higher section in contests, i have to know my stuff...practise slow and speed up gradually. Well done for sorting out your UFOs, that black book has got me intrigued :-D
Hugs LLJ 14 xxx

Sarah Brennan said...

I've never really got to grips with colouring either Cindy. I tend to go with water colour inks and a water brush instead and still don't always like what I come up with. Great start with the faces! Happy WOYWW Sarah #4

Helen said...

I'm not especially good at colouring either and as for drawing - even with years of practice I don't think I'd be any good (not sure there are enough ahead of me to learn.. I'll stick to things I enjoy for now!) I am indeed intrigued - hope you come back next week and share all! good luck with the WIPS.... Helen #1

Caro said...

Those faces are already looking very good - it is a skill I want to learn when I have a little more time so will look out for that book. Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a nice week. With love and God bless, Caro x (#30)

Sue said...

Hi Cindy, Looking forward to seeing how the bag turns out and also what you do with the black album.

I think your people are fab.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #15

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Cindy, those Jane Ds. face stamps are great and love how you've used them too. Colouring is not easy but you're right practice makes perfect, as they say. Have fun and a lovely creative woyww, Angela x12x

StampinCarol said...

Hope you achieve what you want on your faces. I used to draw hundreds of years ago but mostly animals. My people are stick figures... LOL! Sounds interesting on your bag and what will become of your album. Thanks for popping by and have a great week!
Carol N #21

Stacy Sheldon said...

HI Cindy, I have been coloring most of my life and its just so relaxing to me to use pencils. I think your quick first trial sketches are totally awesome. ( I do not draw even stick people so, that is why I have so many stamps I just like to color) :) ~Stacy #26

Lindart said...

The faces look great to me - keep on practicing! Someone posted on Instagram a few weeks ago, her first portrait drawing from a year ago, then she tried the same drawing again a year later, it was amazing! Like night and day, so keep it up! And don't get rid of your first attempts, so you can show in a year how well you are doing! Thanks for your visit, have a great week, Lindart #27

Marit said...

Drawing and colouring faces isn't the most easy thing to do, I know. You seem to be on the right track, go girl! Practice, practice! The bag looks like an eighties piece to me... I'm curious to see it when it's black. What are you going to use to get it that way? Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, happy ~ belated ~ woyww. Hug from Holland, Marit #16

Neet said...

Faces is something I have always wanted to master. Whimsical faces, not realistic ones. Trouble is mine all turn out the same and I can't kind of make a style my own. I know what I want to achieve but I never do.
Yours are fabulous! I love how you have coloured them in. I used paint for mine but now you are inspiring me to try using my pencils. I think your discipline of drawing each evening is the best one to adopt - wish I could do that but maybe when my back gets sorted out i will get in my craft room again.
Keep on, you are doing great
Hugs, Neet xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Cindy, I guess I’ve always loved colouring from my first box of Derwent when in grade 3, and think was addicted for more years than care to remember. I did art at school too so we did faces and models .. but not really good at it, I think you’re doing very very well.
Happy very belated WOYWW!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}
{Wonderful Words Of Life - Shaz in Oz}

Twiglet said...

So glad that I eventually got round to check the desks this week. I love your artwork - I am hopeless at faces. xx Jo

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday # 776

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...