Wednesday 28 October 2020

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday #595

Another week, another Wednesday, another WOYWW. How the weeks do fly. Hope you are all well and bearing up, especially those under the strictest restrictions. Virtual hugs to everyone and do reach out if you need some extra attention!!

As for once I am ahead of the game I'm going to indulge myself in a picture heavy post. I'm prepping this on a grey Tuesday afternoon just before I have a tidy up and re-group (so often the cause of a boring desk). I decided on Monday it was time to get crafting again and start making some inroads into those NBUs before I dragged the Christmas stuff out again next month. The first things I pulled out were the dies by Lisa Horton at the front of the desk. 


I think I've had them a couple of month's, and I honestly couldn't recall why I 'had to have' them (a frequent occurrence). When I find that the urge to cut (or stamp) an item(s)  that I've bought has disappeared, and I'm a bit stumped, I admit I trawl round for a product sample and I CASE it.  It may not be original but at least it gets me using the thing. I found one sample made by Lisa herself and loved the bright colours so much I tried to emulate it in my attempt. Once I started cutting the dies and playing with the layers I could see that I could probably get a twofer every time including mats if I was careful where I put the dies (I was using 6 x 6 card stock). Oh that made me happy, I hate waste of product and effort!! So here's my version and its corresponding 'twofer'. 


I know I said Christmas wasn't out but I just happened to have that sentiment die on my desk and the colours looked Christmassy that way round. When everything comes out I will find an embellishment to add. I kept cutting and playing with different colours - so more pics and there's a bit more Christmas too. 












I am particularly loving that navy and lime green combo on the desk - haven't quite decided where those two are going yet. I've really only used one of the die sets (there are 4) and I've also pulled out another NBU - some Sweet Poppy mandala dies (Shaz enabled these quite a while ago I believe.....and I have the matching stencil) - plus some stepper and flower card blanks. My mind is buzzing with possibilities. So I think I will be mandala-ing for a few days yet. 

For those who were intrigued by my commissions last week here are some photos. I just do as I'm asked lol. 


Why am I telling you all this? Because it's WOYW Wednesday, the day when we go for a wander around the desks of the great and the good courtesy of the lovely Julia at Stamping Ground. Pop on over and join in why don't ya?

Have a good week. Stay home. stay well, stay safe.

Cindy x

17 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

Clever use of waste for those mandala twofers Cindy. Great commissioned cards too. Enjoy playing with your NBUs. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Julia Dunnit said...

Lovely Cindy, I’m the same, about CASEing something that I’ve totally forgotten why I needed it!! To see you getting involved and having your head buzzing just proves that all we need to do is make time to play and it all comes flooding through! I like the lime green with navy too, although I like it with nearly any colour actually! Great results with your commissioned cards, bet the customers were really pleased. You realise that they’ll come back with even harder criteria next time!!

Mary Anne said...

Well I think you made great use of them, even if the original spark of GOTTA HAVE 'EM faded. And always fab to make something beautiful from nothing (waste, indeed! No such thing!)

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (7)

glitterandglue said...

Hi Cindy. Those cards are lovely - so glad you found the dies and made good use of them. Particularly like the one with the deer in the middle. The two special commissioned cards are beautiful - well done. The texts you chose to go on them are so appropriate.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #2

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Can’t go wrong with lime and navy - great combo!! How lovely that you’ve had the crafting wind beneath your wings this week, I love all that you’ve made especially the deer Christmas card, gorgeous!
HUgs LLJ 11 xxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Cindy, awesome cards, love the colour choices. Yes, it no doubt was me enabling Sweet Poppy, lol. I have the die too, and one bit of info in case you don't know- if you want the die to line up properly, you need to make sure you use the stencil with the side with the names etched in facing up.I *think* it's because Emma hand draws the designs, so they may not be totally symmetrical.Stay safe, have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #3 X

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, Cindy, your cards look great! Love that doily-style die. I often ask myself that question too LOL - why did I have to have this? Sometimes I sleep on it - but if you delay a purchase, the offer might be gone and you actually end up spending more. So my motto is, if you want it, grab it! I've grabbed quite a few things off Amazon today LOL. No shame in getting inspired by designs we see online - we all do it all the time! Enjoy your week! zsuzsa #9

Sue Jones said...

Your cards are stunning - lovely dies. Have a great week. Soojay #26

Helen said...

I buy loads of stuff that I "have to have" and consequently have loads of NBUS... The cards are wonderful. Have a good week, stay safe. Helen #1

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

That made me feel better when you said you weren't sure why you had bought the dies. I do this all the time. I buy something that I've seen being demonstrated and by the time they arrive I've forgotten what I want to do with it Lol! However I think you've used these dies well and the cards are lovely. Have a happy and creative woyww, Angela x18x

Neet said...

Love the lime and navy - looks stunning!
I like the commissioned cards you make too - I could not do anything like that. I find it hard to make a card that someone else is telling me to do, I just have to do it my way.
Hugs, Neet 13 xx

Karen said...

Terrific cards ~ Lot's of great colors and layers with these fun dies ~ your wedding anniversary card is over the top gorgeous! Blessings on the rest of your week ~ Love, Karen#23

BJ said...

Super dies love the monochrome card.
Happy WOYWW #BJ

Chrissie said...

Fabulous set of cards, from really interesting dies! Looks like a lot of fiddly bits to me... you must be very patient!
Take care and stay safe
Chrissie #21

Crafting With Jack said...

Hi Cindy, those are great dies and great cards made with them! I have to admit I am often desperate for a particular item and end up not using it for a while. Too many ideas going through my head! Have a great week Angela #26

Spyder said...

I must say I love the dies. I have just lately gone a bit craziy for them. I've just come back into blogging after many years a way and EVERYONE seems to have loads of them! But they are so expensive. I did find a site that was quite reasonable...but they took weeks to come! Have a great week!
Happy WOYWW ((Lyn)) #8

Morti said...

Took me a moment or two to work out what NBU meant, but I think I've got it. And I've got loads of those here too..... Ooops. Found another boxful of unused stamps and dies today. Hubby was less than impressed. LOL

Love those Mandala dies, but I'm not looking! I'm really not! Bad enough that I've been sent looking Karen Burniston dies... oh my!

What's n Your Work Desk? Wednesday # 773

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...